Wednesday, October 18, 2006

a whole decade


jen and mark at jr. sr.
Originally uploaded by jenandmark710.
that's right mark and i have been together a whole decade. 10 years ago today we started "dating". yes we were in high school - 9th grade to be exact. its actually a pretty funny story that i would like to share with you all.

it was the week of homecoming at our school (you know spirit week, pep rally, and a huge game on friday). at the beginning of the week one of my friends told me that some boy liked me. now join me in the world of boys never liking me. (junior high had been very rough). so i guessed and guessed but they wouldn't tell me. i thought that it was very rude. and was in fact furious. on wednesday - we had youth group and i was still furious that they hadn't told me. (they said that this boy was going to talk to me about it - so of course i didn't eat all week :) ). well at youth group i figured it out. and go figure i hadn't even thought to guess mark corbin. and even worse i didn't like him at all. he was a gross boy that i had grown up with. so of course i dreaded the day that he would talk to me. i avoided him at all costs! :) then on friday during the night soccer game he cornered me with the help of those same friends. and we had a chat - he asked me to be his girl friend. i don't really remember what i said, but i do remember what i felt. i told him i would think about it. then my friends began their work. so later that night i agree to be his "girl friend". i thought that it would be like all the other relationships i'd seen - you know last a week or two at the most. (little did i know).

anyway - to make a long story short - the entire first year we hardly talked. then i tried to break it off, but i was dating the most stubborn boy in the entire school. we went through some hard times in high school , but we made it through. then came the process of finding a college - and God led us to the same one. Then God continued to develop us and we got married in July 2004.

so i always tell my class. little do you know - you might marry the boy or girl sitting next to you. of course they think that's completely disgusting. and i understand i felt the same way until God changed my mind.

i am married to the most fabulous guy out there!!
thanks mark for being so stubborn!!!
i love you!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow, 10 years...that's pretty incredible! That is a great story.

sc3b said...

Congratulations! Many times I told my girls, "Don't let your heart get too involved in high school...chances are slim to none that you will end up with this person." Of course I always had to counter with, "I know, I know, but Mark & Jen are the EXCEPTION!!" :)

Jen and Mark said...

yeah - we've gotten used to being the exception!! :)

Tad and Hannah said...

you guys are so cute!! i was always thankful to be around you guys and see your relationship. i know i've learned from it (in a good way - mind you)!! i posted (or thought i did) on "fun facts", but see that's it's not there. I hope this one works!! i look forward to you guys coming up this way in Nov. we'll have to hook up! Love you!!

Christina said...

Awe you guys are so sweet. :-) Even though I've heard versions of that story before, I still love hearing it! You guys are a great couple. I miss you!